Monday 20 January 2014

These are my People

~ Rodney Atkins ~



Isn't it just the most amazing feeling when someone "gets you"?  It's so tiresome defending your way of life to other people (and sadly mostly to family) that when you sit between people that are in the same boat, the universe gives a little sigh of pleasure. Be it people that want to loose weight, trying to eat healthier or doing exercise it's so much easier to communicate with these like minded souls.

I get excited when I up my front squat to 80kg. That's.Alot.Of.Fucking.Weight. I should be damned proud that my body can do this, instead I keep it to myself. Perhaps I'll post it on the Sleek Girls page, not even on the Sleek Geek page cause some of my acquaintances will see it & I'll get comments like this...
I have to look at photos of parties, gardens, children, shoes, boob selfies... and somehow me holding a weight above my head or stating that I went to the gym offends their being.  I'm desperately trying to stick to my eating plan and all they want to do is go out drinking and eat chips & potato salad. I hate that little pause over the phone when I ask if someone is bringing a green salad. You would think this nation is built upon starch...
 
Is it worth keeping these people in your life? I know it's difficult, but yes, they do have a place in your life. My friends are different & weird & wonderful & that's what makes them my friends, and they in turn love my other weird & wonderful quirks. I love my friends, but I need my online communities & my gym buddies: we support each other, we celebrate each others successes, and gladly lend a helping hand to one another when things are going down hill.


A prime example of this happened on Saturday. Our box organized a workout on the beach and for once PE's wind played along beautifully. Afterwards we all went for breakfast - and 99% of the group had some sort of query for the poor, poor confused waiter.  Is there mayo on the wraps? Salad instead of chips.  How many eggs in the scrambled eggs? Is it three? Cause I want three. Exactly three. Make sure it's full cream milk. Fresh orange juice, no, not out of a bottle fresh, actual oranges. And not once did anyone at the table look at one another funny. It was normal. It was amazing.
Since adopting Paleo I have become much more adventurous in the kitchen. Sunday night is now becoming Paleo Pancake night. Topped with berries & macadamia nut butter it was a wonderful healthy treat.

I have entered (along with thousands of others) into the Crossfit Games which starts end February. We are training hard - I've come to embrace sweaty wet underwear and a stinky body. 
After a brief WTF moment last week ("three weeks clean eating - nada to show") I have seen the light, between my legs. Hahaha... I don't care for a thigh gap, it's just nice to see my legs taking some sort of shape. Any shape. I spent the rest of the night pushing a hockey ball through the hole.
Remember to follow K&C on Google+ | Facebook | Pinterest | Bloglovin.

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful when people actually get what you're doing. And rare.

    ReplyDelete