Thursday 19 December 2013

One Step Closer

~ Linkin Park ~
Do you ever stop & listen to the way you talk to yourself in the mirror?  How would you feel if someone else said that to you? Would you tolerate someone else speaking to you like that [and seriously, if you do allow people to talk to you like that we have a whole new problem to deal with...]. But back to the original topic - do you realize how many times you speak negatively about yourself? [Actually, Tam wrote a beautiful article about it]
Some days I can't look in the mirror without thinking I'm to heavy, I'm to big, it's soft & jiggly where I don't want it to be, too short, too tall, too hairy, too white, [enter your own gripe].  I know it's easier said then done, but shouldn't we stop seeing the "imperfections" and start appreciating our bodies for all the things that it can do? And not just that - stop comparing ourselves to everyone else?


I never looked like the girls in the magazines. I was a chubby kid who turned into a chubby teenager, and then discovered sport. I was termed "athletic" - isn't that just a nice way of saying fat?  It wasn’t until earlier this year when I found the right people (nutritionists, Crossfit, weightlifting & a support group) that my body started changing. And not only has my body started changing, it also changed how I felt about my body.  I'm more chuffed that I increased my front squat by 10kg's then reducing my weight by 1kg. I started to eat to give my body what it needs, not starving cause I wanted to be thin.
Weightlifting & Crossfit made me change my focus from losing weight to gaining strength.  Getting the right support group (online & at the Box) meant surrounding myself with strong women (and men) with similar goals. My body constantly surprises me by doing things that I've never thought possible. I would now love to be called "athletic", because I've seen athletic women & damn, if that's what it's called then give me some.

Andrea Ager, Christmas Abbott, Camille Leblanc-Bazinet
I love my body because:
  • no matter how badly I’ve treated it in the past, it still keeps going.
  • it's mine & I'm unique.
  • I can go & try a sport & be somewhat decent at it, without dying of stiffness the next day.
  • it's smart & it tells me when to rest, when to work, when to eat.
  • it has amazing taste buds that makes me open to try new food.
  • it can laugh till I cry & squeal from being out of breath.
  • it can front squat 87kg's, back squat 95kg's and dead lift a 110kg's.
  • it can be taught to do technical movements & practice truly does make perfect.
And most importantly, earlier this week was the first time in a very (if ever) long time that I was comfortable enough to walk around on the beach in just a bikini. I normally reserve this for home.  If anything has changed this year it has been how I see my body - healthy skinny is not going to happen overnight, the least I can do is love my body while it's working hard to get me to stronger & leaner.
Last night was probably my hardest workout to date. We did Grace, then another 30 Push Jerks, and then a chipper from hell:  200 double unders (or 400 single skips), 400m run, 150 double unders (or 300 single skips), 30 burpee pull-ups (did then without any assistance from a band - yay me!), 100 double unders (or 200 single skips), 20 overhead squats, 50 double unders (or 100 single skips). And even though I had the lowest score & only got to 19 burpee pull-ups before reaching the 20 minutes, I still worked just as hard as the guy next to me.
Zoom in - still drenched in sweat...
A lot of negative things have been said about the Crossfit community, and I thing we are truly blessed to have some amazing people at our box. Just to put it into context - Rich Froning (Crossfit Games Champion) can do Grace in less then 4:49 with 102kg. I did it in 7:30 with 40kg.  And by the time I hit the second set of 30 Push Jerks I had to do them 1 at a time. It was such an amazing feeling getting supported by all the guys that already finished, counting down with me, telling me to push & just to keep going.

Found some nice/tasty/pretty things over the weekend & even went down to the beach after work two days in a row. I don't normally slow down this time of year so that is something that I am trying to work on - taking a breath; otherwise you will be working your whole life away without enjoying the little moments.
Vovo Telo Rocket, Mushroom & Pecorino Pizza and Mint & Apple Slushie ~ Mexican Bola Charms make the most amazing fairy jingle ~ Christmas day dress ~ Cow fresh full cream strawberry yoghurt made right here in PE.
Food wise it's going well. I'm trying to keep it clean because I want the pretty dress to sit extra comfortable on Christmas day (it's been a Christmas tradition - a dress will be worn!)
 

Remember to follow K&C on Google+ | Facebook | Pinterest | Bloglovin

Take a breath people!

1 comment: