Wednesday 4 December 2013

Work (Part 1)

~ Jimmy Eat World ~ 
(This post became a bit to long, so it'll be split over two days)

Confucius said, "Find a job you enjoy, and you'll never work a day in your life." He might have said this - I didn't fact check. Anyway, I don't think that's entirely true - even dream jobs can have bad days, but it probably sucks a lot less then a bad day at a crap job.

As children we are told life is an immense journey and that anything you put your mind to is possible. Our minds were filled with dreams & how we were going to take over the world - I was going to be the best vet/hairdresser (human or pet) ever. We wanted to be ninjas or rock stars, write novels or make films. We wanted to go to Mars & find the face...well, I did at least. 
Then life hits you in the face (like a wall ball).  What happened to that dream of becoming a world renowned poodle hairdresser I was so passionate about?  The obvious answer is that we grew up & the dreams were slowly overshadowed with life, bills and reality. So we sacrifice our dreams for some vague idea of “success” or “security.” Get a decent job, with a decent salary, some benefits, and a cool title. Being a ninja became impractical.

Some of us know immediately what we want to do when we grow up. Some (like me) are still trying to figure it out.  Others (also like me) have tried a career or two, and then went on to do something completely different. I don’t believe I’m the only one confused about their place in this world

I always told myself that I would hate sitting in an office. And that is exactly what I've been doing for the last 10 years. I want to travel & dig shit up. No, not actual shit, stuff...things (more on this later) and that is just not possible if I want a decent roof over my head, a medical aid, a box membership, and perhaps some money when I retire one day. Oh, and food. Am I doing the responsible thing, heck yeah...but some day's it sucks balls being responsible.
 

Now my dream job would be - and don't you dare scoff - an archeologist, specifically, an Egyptologist. This won out over an ufologist & a cryptozoologist - yeah, for a while there I couldn't decide between finding the next big Pharaoh, deciphering Rosswell's secrets or proving that Nessie really exists. More on this tomorrow.

Tonight we worked on front squats, push jerks, chest to bar pull-up's & burpees. With front squats the quads are working a whole lot more, since you are sitting down, not sitting back.  It's also helps you develop a strong core as it requires your back to be as vertical as possible so that you don't land on your face.

The push press is quite a bad ass move.  You can handle 10-20% more weight with the push press than with the regular overhead press because you’re basically using your whole body to get it up there. The main muscles worked are your shoulders & triceps, but you also work your quadriceps, glutes and hamstrings. Your abs & lower back muscles also have to work to keep you stable.

Pull-ups are one of the most basic exercises, but definitely not one of the easiest. Hanging on a bar and lifting your entire body weight is a challange to many & a pipe-dream for some. They are a fantastic way to build upper body strength fast:  it increases arm, back, & abdominal strength as well as hand and finger strength.

All you need to know about burpees is that they suck. 
And there's nothing like a "almost puked" workout to kick your appitite into overdrive - I was so hungry when I got home.  I had a double dose of whey & berries & supper. Happy now :)
Remnants of the flu still pop up every now & again - Vit C all the way...

Remember to follow K&C on Google+ | Facebook | Pinterest | Bloglovin. Night all!

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to be an opera singer. I still do, but the time for that has passed. I even got as far as getting the forms to audition, but my mother decided I needed a 'real' job right at the last minute and pretended I hadn't been going on about being an opera singer for the past four years. I am 40 now. Still no dream job. Still not entirely sure what to do with my life, but made peace with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yip, same story here. Ready to go & live in artistic poverty in a different country when I finished school when my dad said "just do a year course in something IT related".

      Delete