Thursday 5 December 2013

Work (Part 2)

~ Jimmy Eat World ~

I think my fascination with archeology was fueled by watching Indiana Jones over & over during the school holidays.  Then when I discovered computer games Lara Croft & her tomb raiding just stamped it in further.


I'm not naive - I know that archeology (especially in SA) is probably is boring as it comes....fossils, ape people, cave drawings.  This is probably the point where I should let you know that I have an majorly overactive imagination, I can daydream like there's no tomorrow and dreams are as vivid as they come. I can make up a scenario, fall asleep with it, dream about it, wake up & then continue that dream. So when I think archeology I think adventure & long lost treasure & magic.

That is why I love reading so much. I finished the Lord of the Rings saga when I was 10, I've reread my Terry Pratchetts till they are dog-eared and I've probably read thousands of books since. And when I found Andy McDermott's series that chronicles the adventures of archaeologist Nina Wilde and her husband, ex-SAS soldier Eddie Chase (with a British accent to boot and you can bet I read every line in that accent), I was in 7th heaven...archeology, dry wit, adventure - the whole deal.

I don't know who the artist is, but the fact that there is a person out there that can see book characters the way I see them makes me a very happy person...
There was a time that I wanted to be this guy as well. Travel the world & experience different cultures? Yes, please!

Ian Wright - Lonely Planet / Globe Trekker

But all these dreams doesn't help me find my dream job. Do I drop everything & go look for adventure? Or do I just suck it up, work 8 - 5, earn my paycheck & read my books? Do you at some point just accept that those dreams are only dreams? I wonder if you can read books & get paid...

Last night's work out kicked my ass. My knees are blue from the burpees, my hands are raw from the pull-ups and yeah, tomorrow morning I'm going back for more.

Looks like tomorrow there will be double-unders, so I will be able to add some whip marks to the collection. Seriously, I'm going to create an album just with photos of my sport related battle scars.

Food wise I'm doing 95% well. I've got MyFitnessPal mostly sorted out & it's becoming easier to add food to my daily diary.  I still prefer taking the photos because visually seeing what you ate (and drank) makes quite a difference.



1 comment: