Friday 13 December 2013

Writing in the Margins (Part 3)

~ Yep, you guessed it, still John Gorka ~


There are about 30 - 40 blogs that I follow on a regular basis.  These range from funny pictures of cats & cheezeburgers, fashion, crossfit & just normal people who have some amazing insights to life [I always think of this specific post on Aspects of Transformation - it's great cause it's true]. Trying to keep track of when a new post is out is like higher grade maths.  

Blog readers pretty much lump together your favorite blogs into one long email or web-based article. This makes blog reading less tedious (you don't have to browse to each of your fave blogs) as well as more discreet which is kinda necessary for those (like me) who do a little reading while at work.


This is where Bloglovin comes in. It gives bloggers their page views, you can comment directly on posts & it's the prettier one of the lot. It gives you little snapshots of posts from the main page and you can scroll through at your leisure.  And as I mentioned before, the best part of Bloglovin’ (from a blogger’s perspective) is that is still gives page view, so you can keep track of your readers' interests.



Create a profile, copy the address of the blog into the search box, and click follow. You'll then get notified via email whenever there is a new post - all under one email. Easy peasy. And even better: here you can get a list of all the SleekGirl (& some extras) blogs.
 
Now for the dark underbelly of blogging. There are a view things that make blogging a bitch, these are mine.

1. What is appropriate to share with everyone? I often don't know what is too personal.  Once something is on the Internet it's there forever. I'm quite happy for my close friends to know that I walk around without pants over the weekend, but do I want all my Facebook acquaintances to know this?  Or even prospective bosses?  On the other hand, once I get that squat-worthy ass it might actually help with the interview...

2. What I find interesting, inspiring or funny might be boring as hell or insensitive to someone else.


I'm sorry...but I did the coffee snort through nose thing when I saw this. I'm a bad person.

3. It takes time. Is that time better spent on Boyfriend (no, not on him...perhaps with), on my work, on our house, on filing the heap of paperwork behind the door? 

4.  Nothing inspired me today, so I'm writing about what I did at work (read blog posts, find things to do in Pamplona), what I cooked for dinner, or what color my favorite socks are. Not every posts has to be a masterpiece, I'm still a real person.
These, by the way...

5. It's 9:30pm, I'm still stinking from my awesome Crossfit session, we've just finished dishes & packing up tomorrow's food. I want to get a round of Battlefield in. I want to go sleep at a decent hour. Somedays I'm just to tired.

6. Other people's blogs. I read other blogs & immediately think..wow, I'm not half this witty/profound/creative. Thinking like that sucks - comparing yourself to someone or something else will never end good. Use others as inspiration, I'm different from you and that's what makes both of us unique.


I lifted 50kg above my head tonight with ground to overheads (i.e bar on floor - get it up over your head any way possible).  And when I tried 55kg,  all of a sudden logic kicked in and said: WTF are you doing? What if this falls? What if it snaps your wrists like twigs? 

It was the same with handstands - I would stand like an idiot with my hands in the air, looking at the spot on the floor, willing myself to throw my body over, crazy right? Your mind is your worst enemy. As soon as you start doubting yourself you are going to stagnate. And as long as your coach has taught you how to fail, you will not fall on your face or snap your wrist. Just harden the f*ck up & try it. Next time 55kg's, next time.

It's going good food wise, I hope this trend continues at least until Christmas day. I forgot to take photos of supper again, so here are some random Google stock images of the food I ate.


Remember to follow K&C on Google+ | Facebook | Pinterest | Bloglovin

Have an amazing weekend. And if you are finishing work today, I might be disliking (hate is a strong word) you a little bit at this moment...

2 comments:

  1. I did the snort thing too at that pic. See you in Hell. I'll save you a seat next to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Thanks for mentioning my blog! YAY! Famous!

    ReplyDelete