Thursday 7 November 2013

Soul Meets Body

~ Deathcab for Cutie ~

Since this is the Internet, and some people may read what I write in their tone, not mine, I just feel like I need to say the following upfront: I understand body dysmorphia is a real illness and that it can get real bad for any person living with it. In today's post I'm only referring to the milder aspects of the disease. 

 

Many of us have those moments when we take a look in the mirror & wish for things to be different. Body dysmorphia is a mental illness where a person is so excessively concerned with body image that they start seeing it as a defect. They have constant negative thoughts about their appearance which for the most is either minor or imagined. Some people are so preoccupied that they spend hours obsessing every day, constantly comparing themselves to others and asking for reassurance about their appearances. Body dysmorphia can also be quite mild, where people can accept that they probably look "normal", even though they may see their defects as obvious and unattractive. 
 

If you have every watched the show "How to Look Good Naked" (BBC) hosted by the flamboyant Gok Wan (just loved how he used to tap girls on the boobs and call them bangers or knockers) you will know how he tried to change the way ladies see themselves. In every episode he would take Lady X and put her in front of a line of ladies ranging from sizes a - z and she had to decide where she thinks she fits in. 99% of the time the girl would insert herself between two ladies that were at least 4 to 5 sizes bigger then her, reacting with shock when Gok would move her up the line to where her actual measurements fit in. Is this what we do to ourselfs?
 

A common group therapy activity for the illness is body tracing. Sketch an life-size outline of what you think your body's size is on piece of paper, then lie in the outline as another person trace your actual size inside of it. It should show the discrepancy between what we think our body shape is, and what it actually is.  I wondered how far off the average woman's perception of her body is?  I myself will sometimes ask Boyfriend "am I bigger or smaller then that girl" just because I cannot judge for myself. 


And how can you look (and feel) awesome at one point in the day, and then a couple of hours later you feel fat, wobbly & pasty in front of the same mirror? I know lighting plays an effect, but surely most of it must be in the mind? We focus so much on our bodies during weight loss that we notice the flaws more and not the subtle changes. Sometimes I still think I should be picking out a size 14, even though I'm actually closer to a 10. I put it down to having seen myself one way for so long, that my brain still needs to catch up... 

Practising handstands & eating a "with every topping" wakaberry :)


Tuna & coconut oil salad for lunch & chicken wraps for supper - summer food.


Early morning again tomorrow - Friday morning Crossfit! Remember to follow K&C on Google+ | Facebook | Pinterest | Bloglovin Night all, sleep well! 

1 comment:

  1. So true! We do this to ourselves all the time. I once dropped 3 dress sizes, but didn't realise it. I went to get a dress for a wedding and I asked if I could try a size 16. She said perhaps I should try the 14 as the dresses were quite roomy. The dress looked spectacular. I got home and saw that the label said Size 12. Clever sales lady. Pity I put all that back on.

    ReplyDelete