Thursday 24 October 2013

Don't let your eyes go shopping

~ Nat King Cole ~
Courtesy of The Oatmeal

Shopping when hungry or eating when bored - two things that make me fall flat on my face every so often.

First up - shopping when hungry, AKA how did Chuckles & a double toffee milkshake make it into the bag. We split the weekly grocery shopping between PnP & Woolies (there are just some stuff that I prefer to get from the one or the other) and PnP is not that bad, but yoh, getting to the tills at Woolies' is like going through the trenches on a fricken battlefield!


That is why there is still a can of "Braai Flavour" Baked Beans on the bottom shelve...

I go in, head down, past the lovely croissants & muffins in their bakery section, not making eye contact till I enter the fresh produce section. Is your shopping expedition the same as mine? Do you have to walk past all the yummies just to get to the basic necessities? What makes it worse is that some of that junk is cheaper then the healthy alternative! AND then you have to look up at the ceiling while you are standing in the queue of evil. Most of the time I can control myself, but don't let me walk in there hungry...


I think overall I eat healthy food, for the most part my food looks good. The bad part is the emotional side of my diet. I don't eat when I'm stressed. Uh-uh. My issue is eating while bored.

I saw a recent poll that asked: "What are your top three triggers for overeating?" Tied for first place were boredom and stress. The problem is that when you stop eating, you're bored again. So you have to eat again! I can finish a big bag of crisp (on my own) while I watch a movie or read a book - and then go look for more. It's something a lot of us do without thinking and when you eat for the wrong reasons, it so often leads to binge eating.

The thing to remember is that you must redirect your attention away from food not because you are depriving yourself, but because you don't need it at that moment.

I stayed strong in the Woolies aisle today, allowing myself only a little trail mix packet (for which I'll have an extra glass of water to make up for it).  Lunch was an old fave - tuna, sweet potato & coconut oil, all mushed together!  I can still remember the first time Elan Lohmann recommended this when I just joined Sleek Geek - it was a "wtf" moment.


Don't stress - there were two pork chops - I just keep forgetting to take the damn photos beforehand!

On the 3rd try we finally got the egg steamer thingy (or as Boyfriend has dubbed it - Thomas Eggerson) making hard eggs - hey, you have to claim the small victories. 

Sadly no crossfit tonight. Teaching the little monsters TKD & then practicing handstands for a bit...at some point they are gonna be part of a WOD & I at least want to be comfortable falling on my face in private, before making it a group experience. To max out our quota we are going to a 05:30am (holy balls) class tomorrow morning. 

Have I mentioned that I'm not a morning person?

Remember to follow K&C on Google+ | Facebook | Pinterest, then you will get notified of any new posts!

1 comment:

  1. ha! This is so true and also demonstrates how well Woolies does at in-store marketing. It's genius! I try to remind myself that it's all an illusion.

    ReplyDelete