Tuesday 22 October 2013

Plateau

~ Nirvana ~

One of our Sleek Girls (and Winter Warrior Winner), Nicola Davidson, recently broke through her weight loss plateau - haven't we all been there? [Nicola - something for you at the bottom of this post] Apparently being stuck eventually happens to everyone who is trying to lose weight. And the only way to get through it is to persevere.

My weight "loss" over the last 11 months can be seen on the graph below.  This doesn't take into account any water retention or muscle gain - purely weight.

4.8kg (since November 2012) / 4.6% body fat (since January 2013).
In April 2013 I weighed the lowest over the entire period.  I just finished my first Sleek Geek challenge (Feb - April) and I only focused on clean eating and cardio (running). Since then I have learned so much more about my body, and this time around I'm focusing on strength rather then weight.  It came as quite a shock when I realized that the weight I lost during that time was most likely muscle and not fat.  

About 3 months ago I started with the new eating & exercise plan. We were eating quite healthy before this, and have always been active, so it wasn't a major change, just minor adjustments here & there and eating & exercising with a goal in mind. I have gained so much strength in the last 3 months, lifting weights that my April'13 body wouldn't even dream off.  

That is why I have forsaken the scale (I'll pop on every now and again, but only take note of it once or twice a month) and rely on measurements & photos. 

The plateau over the last 4-6 weeks have been excruciating. Every now & again I'll have a good day, ask Boyfriend to take photos or measurements, look at it in disbelieve because I am sure it should be looking better then that & then get mad at Boyfriend, because somehow it's his fault. But then I just remember my body is getting stronger, just be patient - that bitch is gonna budge at some point....

Another Sleek Girl, Lindy Noel Diamond, posted this handy article on how to ascend your weight loss plateau.

Food for today...think I ate way to little.



Tomorrow night is Crossfit (yay!) & we'll also be joining them for a nutritional talk afterwards - will give all the deets tomorrow.

Follow K&C on Google+ | Facebook | Pinterest.

Night all!

For Nicola :)

1 comment:

  1. Good work, Janel. Good on you for ditching the scale. The scale is a skanky liar. Measurements are more accurate.

    ReplyDelete